Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So yeah...blogging

I'm gonna start this blog now, even though I don't leave for Kenya for another 2 months, because I'm currently at work with nothing better to do.

Kenya prep:
Finally sent off my visa application yesterday. Just in time too because I hear it takes about 6 weeks to come thru...and that's about how much time I have left in Madison. I don't know why I put off all this stuff for so long. But it got to the point where I started having nightmares that I didn't do it and then I couldn't go...so I guess that's a sign that I should probably get myself organized, huh? It was all so much less stressful when my parents used to take care of everything. I also have to find out what shots I need and where/how to get my malaria meds. That's all the boring, annoying stuff. The fun stuff is that I'm starting to figure out what I'll be doing over Christmas break! Right now, it looks like Maua will be coming to Kenya, then we'll go to Cairo at some point to meet up with Sara and Jesse! Possibly a stop in Dubai too? Who knows! It's all so exciting, cause while everyone else will be here freezing their bums off in the snow, we'll prooobably be relaxing on a beach somewhere or checking out the pyramids. Fingers crossed!

Life stuff:
As for paying for all this amazing travel? Well, that's why I'm working my ass off this summer to save up. Full time + OT at the hotel, and I'm hoping to find a second job as well. After paying off the Europe trip and finally getting the Jeff Sachs lecture paid too, I'm going to need all I can earn! My life basically consists of work right now, but I do get out sometimes! (What's the point of summer in Madison if you don't, right?) Last night was AMR's birthday, so we went out for that. Then Sara, Anna and I went to Opus for a bit (and got FREE chocolate fondue...oh yes) and befriended Walter at The Mercury. (Note: AMR, sorry we didn't make it to Genna's!) Project 40/40 lovin right there y'all. I think I may have also found a place to live/people to live with for senior year, inshallah! :)

Randoms:
The branding is finally starting to look really good. It only took 2 months to heal well and now I just have to wait for it to change colors (from pink to white). Don't really know how long that'll take, but at least I won't have to worry about it anymore! I'm still feeling restless and neither dying my hair or getting my nose re-pierced helped too much. But at this point I feel like I shouldn't do anything more for a while. So I just have to try and relaaaax.

Swahili practice: translating a BBCSwahili article later today about Bill Clinton and Obama
Current book (cause I'm trying to read more!): When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
Future fun: Chicago Pride(?), toga party

Adios amigos!

No comments: