I am back in Nairobi now and so relieved to be here with my old host family and all my MSID friends! I love being back in my living room with the saggy red couches and armchairs and having Ashley, Joey, Aubrey and Andre coming and going and drinking chai and laughing and chatting. The house is so full of energy and life and I'm so comfortable here. It's like heaven after the discomfort I experienced in Mombasa. Things with my host dad improved quite a bit after he was spoken to, and I actually thought it had worked. Wishful thinking. As I was walking out the door to catch my bus, he decided it would be an appropriate time to bring up the issue.....in front of his 2 boys AND my friend Octavius! I tried to ignore everything he was saying by goofing off with my 7 year old brother, but he didn't take the hint. He just kept talking, and it was clear he didn't think he'd done anything wrong. He thought that my friends were the ones who had gotten the wrong idea! Oh man, I just got so mad when he started saying that, and how he wanted "to be free" with me. How he hadn't been able to be free with me the past few weeks and he wanted to apologize for that because it wasn't his choice. I wanted to SCREAM at him that the past few weeks had been the best yet because he hadn't tried to touch me or talk to me or ask me to go out with him! But all I said was that I wasn't comfortable talking about this in front of his children so he needed to stop mentioning it. Then he finally backed off, I got on the bus, and I hope I never have to see him again.
Octavius and I had booked the nicest overnight bus back to Nairobi because the program would reimburse us for the cost. The bus was brand spankin new with air conditioning and a DVD player and comfy seats...for a minute I actually felt like I was back in America...untillllll the air conditioners started leaking freezing cold water onto us! TIA (This is Africa) haha. They turned off the A/C and we used the window curtains as barriers against the water, which worked relatively well. And by 8am we were back in downtown Nairobi. Alhamdulillah!
So today I had final exams, I have a few papers to finish by tomorrow, and then on Monday we are off to South Africa! Our overland trip will include stops in Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia on the way, then Christmas in Durban, South Africa...then flying to Kuwait for New Years with Tamara again! I'm so excited for this to start. We have a plan of where we want to go, but we're going to kind of play it by ear along the way. Things are going to be unpredictable and exciting and fun and hilaaaarious! I will try my best to update this blog along the way. Hopefully I'll catch up with you guys from Dar es Salaam.
Kwa herini loves! Bahati njema for exams and enjoy the start of the holidays. XOXO, Alana
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment