Friday, September 12, 2008

SPARKS!

Sooooo, yesterday I was walking back home with Andre from the MSID office. This involves walking right past Nazarene College, where we have our classes. A few days ago during Kiswahili class, we saw the telephone/electric wires outside our room sparking and then the lights flickered a went completely out. A bit unsettling, but nothing happened after that. But yesterday, RIGHT as we were passing underneath those power lines, they started sparking again! I freaked out at first and Andre told me to calm down, no biggie. But then every single power line started sparking and crackling over the entire street and people were getting out of their cars and running like hell away from them!! Oh my god, I thought I was going to be electrocuted right then & there. What a crap way to die. Electrocuted in my first week in Nairobi!! We waited out the sparking storm on a grassy area in front of Nazarene, then caaaarefully made our way back home. Aaah...Kenya. :)

Oh and one of my host brothers finally came back from their rural home (did I mention this?). So even though I was completely exhausted last night, I stayed up late to watch action movies with him & the neighbors. We saw Hancock, part of Iron Man, and then I went to sleep during Dark Knight. It was really fun and I'm glad I did it, even though now I'm so tired I could pass out right here in this internet cafe!!

Also, if anyone wants to send me letters or stuff, my address here in Nairobi is:

Alana Keusch
c/o MSID Kenya
P.O. Box 66731
00800 Westlands
Nairobi, Kenya

Make sure you send it airmail, because otherwise it could take a couple months for anything to arrive! I miss you all but am settling in so so well here in Nairobi. Mama Koech continues to be amazing...I'm so lucky to have her. I can tell that this will be a relationship I keep up with for the rest of my life. The Kenyan way of life is so much slower than at home in Wisconsin or Boston. I find myself becoming very mellow with a very go-with-the-flow attitude. Things that would drive me crazy in US are like no problemo here. I loooove it. And I've heard that on the coast, life is even MORE relaxed. It's going to be really hard to re-adjust to a fast-paced life in the states!

Be safe & happy everyone! XOXO

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ask Mama Koech if she is related to Davy Koech, who heads the Kenya Medical Research Institute. Dad