Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Arabian Nights

So my experiences in Egypt were mostly fantastic. As you know from my last post, I saw Khan al-Khalili market, climbed to the top of a mosque in a burqa, saw the pyramids on camel-back and we also watched a show of traditional Sufi whirling dervishes (there's a video and pictures of the show on my facebook, for those who are interested in seeing). On my last day I decided I had to make the effort to go see the Egyptian Museum. The guidebooks are DEAD ON in their description of this place. There is SOOOOO much stuff there that they literally don't know what to do with all of it! It's the kind of collection any well-organized museum in the rest of the world would kill for...and most of it is just sitting around for anyone to touch (as long as the guards dont catch them), most of it isn't labled or is mis-labled, and it's not in any particular order. I actually had to ask 3 different people how to get to the royal mummies!

The one experience I did NOT enjoy happened at the museum. As a white, un-veiled girl in a Muslim country, I always attract a lot of attention from men. But most are at least respectful in their flirting...if not respectful of physical boundaries (hand kissing, etc). Unfortunately, the ticket guy for the royal mummies exhibit was the opposite of respectful. I had underestimated how much everything would cost, and as a result, I was 2 pounds (about 50 cents) short of the price for an adult admission ticket. I tried to convince him to just let me in cause it was such a small amount...and he took this as an invitation for sexual harassment. He indicated that he would waive the 2 pounds, if I would give him a kiss on the lips. And he was serious. I laughed nervously and said no way, so he then decided to mimic the action of unzippering my sweater. I was wearing a lacy tank top underneath this big sweatshirt. He was SO disgusting. When I refused he gave me a REALLY hard time until some nice Egyptian lady gave me some money and I was able to pay full price.

What an asshole.

So I got to see the mummies and the massive amounts of stuff in the halls around the exhibit. It was pretty cool, though I'm sure they're not the actual mummies. I bet they're stored in some climate controlled, highly restricted area. I met an Egyptian kid who looked about 16 years old and claimed he wanted to practice his English with me. He seemed legit and I was going to go for coffee with him and chat, but cause I was by myself I called a friend for advice, and she said no way jose, don't go anywhere with him. There's apparently a scam where people will take you to a coffee or tea place they suggest that's supposed to be "authentic local" and then they'll either drug you and take your stuff, or they'll just charge you like 300x what it's actually worth. I thought the kid was nice though, so I let him share my taxi and spoke English with him, and then he got out at one place and I went to meet some friends for dinner. He probably was trying to scam me, but no harm no foul, right? I want to be more open to meeting locals when I travel, but especially as a woman by myself, I get way over-suspicious. It's good to be on the safe side, but I wish this world wasn't so full of scams and danger for a solo woman traveler. You miss out on so much because of it.

So I'm back in Kisumu now for my final month of work. I can't believe that's all we have left. In 6 weeks, my program will be over. I'm kind of in shock about it.

No comments: