Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Jadelle

Working for Millennium Villages I have learned a lot of new things about family planning, which is a huge issue here in the villages. A method of FP that I'd heard of but never really considered in the past is called the implant (in America, it's called Norplant). A lot of women out here have gotten it because it's free at MVP clinics, it has minimal side effects, the husband never has to know about it, and it lasts for 5 years! It's an amazing option to have! When I first learned how cheaply I could get one and how often they're done here, I decided I had to have one.

I've been on the pill for years now (none of your business why! lol). And I tell you, remembering to take a tiny little pill at the same time every day for 5 years has been a hassle. And missing one or taking it at the wrong time reduces it's effectiveness (YIKES!!!!). So this implant is hopefully going to just get rid of all those variables. The brand I got (a UK brand called Jadelle) is two matchstick-sized plastic tubes containing a BC medication that is commonly used in other forms.

I went to a KMET clinic with my friend Jen, who used to work there and suggested the place to me. Unfortunately, because of stupid bureaucratic stuff, MVP clinics don't have any supplies of the implant right now, so I couldn't go there. It was a small, slightly run-down place on the outskirts of Kisumu proper. One look around would probably have made most westerners pretty nervous, but I was determined to set an example! Most of my friends have said they want one, they're just scared of getting one put in here in Africa. So on another note, I wanted to prove that it was perfectly safe and easy. The process of checking in was simple. I just said what I wanted and they immediately took down some info about me and then lead me and Jen to a procedure room. I was letting Jen watch and take pictures so she could use the info later in village presentations. She's got a MA in Public Health from BU (jealous!) specializing in reproductive health.

I laid down on the procedure table with my left arm bent behind my head, and quick as a flash they sterilized the area with iodine, injected the local anesthetic, made a small incision with a razor in my arm, inserted a hollow metal tube under my skin, and placed the 2 plastic tubes inside. I looked over at one point and was shocked to find them digging around in my arm with all these tools, which looked as if it should be INCREDIBLY painful, but I felt nothing at all! You gotta love that local anesthetic!! Before I knew it, the whole thing was over and they were dabbing away the blood and putting on a band-aid.

And the whole thing took less than 10 minutes and less than $10. Amazing.

So now I just have to take some painkillers and antibiotics for a few days, go back to get the site of insertion checked in a week, and then I am SET for 5 whole years! Yay!

To any ladies reading this, if interested I would absolutely recommend this type of BC. And now that I've experienced the process, I can be of better use to people here in the village in promoting the procedure! I am so excited about the possibilities this presents. Women in the villages tend to have a lot of children, which is beneficial in some ways, but mostly not because of the financial burden and the increasing likelihood of starvation when there are too many mouths to feed. Also, overpopulation is a big concern because there is not enough land anymore.

Anyway, I hope people found this entry interesting. I thought it was a pretty significant experience. Hope everyone is happy and healthy at home! I miss you all and send my love!

XOXO
Alana

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I got to read this, especially after accompanying our other friend to get the IUD. I figure I should get one or the other, because hey, five years of BC for $15? That's how much I spend a month on pills.