Scary story time! I was back at my rural home, having just finished a delicious dinner of rice with chickpeas that I learned how to make in Egypt (thanks Sami!). I have been trying to cook as much as possible lately for my parents here because I’m leaving soon and I want to give them special meals before I do. Anyway, I was tinkering around in my bedroom for a minute when I heard one of our dogs, Soupy, begin a fight with some unknown creature just outside my window. We are used to hearing him fight little animals off, but this sounded really vicious, so my mom and I ran outside to see what he was fighting, hoping to maybe scare the thing away. I was just behind her at the door, trying to see what was there, when she yelled “IT’S A MAD DOG!” and slammed the door shut as something came flying towards us. My heart JUMPED out of my chest as I saw that it was another dog, similar to ours, and definitely crazy. It was attacking poor Soupy relentlessly! And just as we shut the door on it, the lights in our compound went out and we were plunged into darkness.
Talk about setting the mood.
We ran to get big flashlights and then my mom went out with a big, pointy stick to try and beat the mad dog so it would run away. It was really aggressive and wasn’t being deterred by anything, so I came to the conclusion that it probably has rabies. How scary is that?? I was cowering by the door, ready to slam it shut if the dog came near the house again. Finally, mom was able to chase it away, and we had a few tense minutes in the living room waiting to hear if it would come back. But then we heard other dogs from farther away howling, so we knew it had gone elsewhere for a while. I called Ken slightly panicked and he calmed me down, and then I went outside to check Soupy for any bite marks or scratches, because that would’ve been tragic. Soupy is such a good dog. Luckily he was clean, so he lives to defend us another day.
Anyway, some neighbors who came over to help told us the stray has been wandering around the villages recently. We can only hope that it dies soon of the rabies or someone kills it, because it is a menace! I will definitely never walk around the rural area at night again. I was comfortable enough to do that recently because people here know me now and I feel safe in the security of the watchful village eyes, but there’s no telling what kind of animals you might meet out here, and I’m glad I was reminded of that lesson before anything bad actually happened to me.
So that is my exciting story for the week. Hopefully I don’t ever have to pee at night again, cause I am too scared to go outside right now and our latrine is at the edge of the compound!!!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment