So I wanted to write a quick post about how cool my host-mom here in Kisumu is. This is my last week, I wish I'd had more of an opportunity to hang out with her and be at the rural home in general. I've had to be in and out of Kisumu so much, and then out in the field for work, it's been hard to spend any time at home! But when I am home, she is one of the most amazing ladies I've ever met.
She always told me she was born in 1958, but yesterday we figured out (based on old family photos and other things) that she was probably born closer to 1954. Can you imagine not knowing your own age?? When I told her she couldn't possibly have been born in '58, she wasn't even phased! She was like, oh? Really? Okay! And that was that. So she's approximately 54 years old. She got married when she was either 15 or 16, she doesn't actually know. Can you believe, she never even finished high school! I saw some old photos of her when she was 22 and already had 3 kids...and she was so so beautiful!
Anyway, she ended up having 7 kids. Yes, SEVEN. Can anybody reading this imagine having so many?? I sure can't. But even more incredible is that SHE comes from a family of 9! And she's the first born. So it's unofficially her responsibility to take care of her elderly parents. So she takes care of them, and her entire family. I think that's pretty amazing, considering she never finished high school. Her and her husband (who we all call mzee) did very well for themselves, and they were never lacking for money.
She is incredibly giving and caring. People are constantly coming to our house asking for favors or help with things, and she's always willing to be that person to help. She takes care of her niece and nephew because their parents both died. She also is a leading member of the local church, which normally wouldn't impress me, except that she is so so dedicated to it, and she has never ridiculed me for not being religious. I appreciate her openness and willingness to learn and understand new things.
She always appreciates it when I cook dinner for the family and makes an effort to try everything I make, even if she obviously doesn't like it too much. And she's so happy and jolly all the time, always laughing and smiling! I couldn't have asked for a better host-mom. My host-dad is harder to get to know, but he's also very nice and intelligent and, best of all, he is respectful towards me. Unlike my Mombasa host-dad. It's such a good change from my experience there. I never feel uncomfortable around him.
Anyway, I'm going to stop now, but I just had to share that info with everyone, because yesterday I was looking at those family pictures with my mom and it made everything about her seem so much more real; to see her at 16 getting married to mzee, and to see her in her early 20s with three kids already. I respect her so much as a person.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment